Here at Man Of The Week, we strive to find the most awesome and inspiring men around who better the lives of the communities around North America. This week’s spotlight is no different! Chris Brandt believes it is every single person’s responsibility to positively impact the world around, and uses his life’s work at ‘Music Heals’ to teach others how music can promote and maintain mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health. In the years to come, Chris aims to grow Music Heals to a charity that contributes $1million/year to local music programs.
- Age: 43
- What do you do? (Work)
Executive Director, Music Heals. Also, professor of Music Business at BCIT, and yoga teacher at YYoga and Contact Partner Yoga.
- Why do you do it?
- How do you make a difference in the world? (Work, business, life, family, self)
I teach, in all aspects of my day. When the student exceeds the teacher, the teacher becomes immortal.
- What are 3 defining moments in your life?
- The last day of every job I have ever worked.
- Starting a record label
- Crossing Tibet in a jeep
- What is your life purpose?
- How did you tap into it?
I have always known, although sometimes I have had poignant reminders.
- Who is your Role-Model or Mentor?
- Do you have any daily habits? If so, what are they?
Leave the office for coffee. Never make coffee at work. While it costs more, leaving your desk and going for a walk can completely reset your day.
- When do you know your work/life balance is off?
My body knows. Hopefully I am listening before it has to yell.
- Vulnerability is a challenge for most men – share a vulnerable moment from your life with us.
Being diagnosed with prostate cancer.
- What did you learn from it?
That I signed up for it. This was my PhD course.
- If you are or were going to be a mentor for another man, what is one piece of advice you would give him?
Do what you say you are going to do.
- How do you be the best partner (Boyfriend/Husband- past or present)
- Do you support any Charities or Not-for-profits? (Which one(s) and why?)
Music Heals, all day every day.
- If your life had a theme song, what would it be?
“Life’s What You Make It” by Talk Talk
- Where do you see yourself in 3 years?
Married with 1 kid (and maybe another on the way), traveling with my family and work, and Music Heals being a $1million/year charity.
- What legacy do you want to leave for future generations?
It is not your opportunity, but your responsibility, to do big things that have a positive imact on the world.
- What One book would you recommend for any Man?
If you know a Man that is making a positive impact on the world, we would love to hear from you! Contact us at [email protected]